Hiram Students Take Top Honors in Regional Literary Competition
Hiram College students placed among the top winners for the Echo Student Literary Competition, a regional writing competition for college students. Winners are as follows: (Hiram College students are listed in bold.)
- First Place: Zachary Fiore ’14, creative writing major from Ravenna, “Rub-A-Dub-Dub”
- Second Place: Nick Sawatsky ‘14, creative writing major from Middleburg Heights, “Geekshow”
- Third Place (Tie): Melanie Hendershot, “With Both Feet” (Marietta College) and Megan Johnson ’14, sociology major from Twinsburg, “The Bond of Brotherhood”
- First Place Fiction: Emily Kennedy, “Recursion” (Marietta College)
- Second Place (Tie) Fiction: Justin Shelton, “To Squeeze a Trigger” (Marietta College) and Nick Sawatsky, “Entice Him, See Where His Strength Lies”
- Third Place Fiction: Zachary Fiore, “Pella of Pueblo”
- First Place Poetry: Nick Sawatsky, “Chiasmic”
- Second Place (Tie) Poetry: Emma Markley, “Fire” (Heidelberg University) and Rachel Petrack ’13, philosophy major from Cleveland Heights, “Blue Eyed Beauty/Poseidon Girl”
- Third Place (Tie) Poetry: Emily Kennedy, “Squeezed” (Marietta College) and Alicia Wright, “Not Geary but Somewhere Close” and “Considering the Fire” (Marietta College)
The Echo Student Literary Competition is in its third year, and is a contest for undergraduate students at Bethany College, Heidelberg University, Hiram College, Marietta College, University of Mount Union and Muskingum University. There is a monetary prize for each category of $175, $100 and $50. A panel of faculty members from the participating schools blindly judges the entries to determine the winners. The Echo Student Literary Competition is sponsored by the Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature, one of Hiram’s seven Centers of Distinction.
Learn more about the Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature.
Tagged creative writing, english, lindsay crane, lindsay crane center for writing and literature, megan johnson, nick-sawatsky, Rachel-Petrack, writing, zachary fiore