An Evening of Hiram Writers – April 2
The Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature will celebrate student writers and their accomplishments this academic year with An Evening of Hiram Writers at 7 p.m. on April 2, 2013 in the library’s Pritchard Room.
The Center hosts a number of writing contests throughout the year, including the Barbara Thompson Award for Short Fiction, the Ralph and Marion G. Kroehle Contest in Creative Nonfiction, the Geoffrey Stamm Poetry Contest and the Vachel Lindsay Poetry Contest.
Winners of these contests will share excerpts from their works in fiction, creative nonfiction and poetry. A reception will follow the readings.
The winners of this year’s contests include the following:
Barbara Thompson Award for Short Fiction
- First place: “Salivate” by Nick Sawatsky ’14
- Second place: “Promised Land” by Brendan Curtin ’13
- Third place: “Gone with Her” by Cara Tompot ’15
- Honorable mentions: “Birthing Pains” by Chelsea Beabout ’13 and “My Four Walls” by Kailee Knight ’15
Ralph and Marion G. Kroehle Contest in Creative Nonfiction
- First place: “On Undulation” by Nick Sawatsky ’14
- Second place: “Spawn” by Brendan Curtin ’13
- Third place: “The Nonexistent Shade” by Grace Baran ’14
- Honorable mentions: “In Text or Flesh” by Rachel Petrack ’13 and “Transience” by Emily Packer ’15
Vachel Lindsay Poetry Contest and Stamm Prize for Formal Poetry
- First Place and Stamm Prize: Maggie Henry ’14 for “The Inner Workings of a Bird”
- Second Place: Caitlyn Caldwell ’13 for “Final Will and Testament”
- Third Place: Amy Morton ’13 for “Composed on the third floor of the Kennedy Center on February 19, 2013”
- Honorable Mentions: Zach Fiore ’14 for “Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening” and Matt Margo ’14 for “the wake”
Learn more about the Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature.
Tagged creative writing, english, lindsay crane, lindsay crane center for writing and literature