The Garfield Meeting House, the home of the Garfield Institute for Public Leadership will have a new name beginning May 10, 2012.
Built in 1842, the historic Greek Revival building, at the southeast corner of the Upper Campus will be renamed in honor of John Koritansky, long-time Hiram Professor of Political Science and Chair of the Garfield Institute.
In 2008, William Recker, a Hiram College Board of Trustee member, donated funds for the relocation, renovation and restoration of the building a former a church from Mecca, Ohio to the campus.
Since it opened in the spring of 2009, it has served as the residence for the Garfield Institute for Public Leadership, and features a meeting area on the first floor, a library in the loft and faculty offices in the lower level. This year, Recker made another generous gift to the Garfield Institute, and asked that it be renamed in honor of Koritansky.
Koritansky has taught at Hiram College as a professor of Political Science for 42 years, and was one of the founders of the Garfield Institute.